As I skimmed though the Dollar Tree, I notices some textured mylar foil in the gift wrap section. Too bad you can't emboss that stuff. Or can you...


I tried two methods: First I tried white school glue, applied it to cardstock from my scrap pile and let it dry. The second method, ran the cardstock though my Xyron 510. There no real difference in the results. The glue allowed for more adjustment of the mylar when smoothing it down, but it softened the cardstock which warped while drying.


Above is the silver mylar over orange cardstock, applied with glue. After embossing with the Cuttlebug Boo to You embossing folder. This one I inked over w/ Brilliance Graphite Black.



This one is the back of the blue mylar which is silver over Xyroned (That's right, xyroned is a verb!) orange cardstock. I used the brayer to ink over the embossing.



Here is my favorite result. Xyroned over orange. This time, I inked the folder with a brayer and Brilliance Jumbo Java before I embossed the mylar/cardstock combo. (I would have used black again, but I was getting impatient while inking the brayer and went for my JJ re-inker.



Here is the entire plate mounted on a card. I really like the effect. I can't wait to use it some more.

A couple of things that didn't work: Inking the folder w/ alcohol inks, they dried too quickly and it was difficult to keep the ink in the depressions of the folder. The other failure was sanding. I thought it would be cool to sand of the mylar and expose the cardstock beneath. I looked like it might work at first, then the mylar tore and separated from the cardstock. This happened with both the glue and xyron.

Now, get thee to the Dollar Tree and play!

Tell me about your cuttlebug adventures here.

10 Comments:

  1. Linda said...
    great technique. Come see my cuttlebug tree (not a new technique by any means) but cute as can be. See you at AMR
    Elizabeth said...
    cute technique!! I love the way it looks!!
    Stacy said...
    That is a great tip. I still haven't got a CB yet so I'll have to put that in my memory bank for the future. Love your new banner btw!
    Jingle said...
    This is really neat! Thanks!
    Nilda Rockenbach said...
    that is so cool.. I need to buy some now
    Christina Carnoy said...
    awesome! you are the coolest mad scientist scrapbooker! I love it!
    obxpatti said...
    gorgeous!!!!!! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look at my dollar tree.
    ohradiogirl said...
    Very nice. I do like that effect. I'll see if I can get to a $ store in the next few days to pick some up.

    Oh, and if you get a chance, check out the Cuttlebug Challenge blog:
    http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.com/
    Rheannon said...
    These are great! And your comments on what you tried, what worked and didn't work are awesome! I found you through The Cuttlebug Challenge blog... and guess what?!?! I live in Tigard too! Happy Scrappin :)
    Rheannon
    Kay said...
    How is it that I missed commenting on this post? I love that idea!! Yup you are truly living up to your name!!

Post a Comment



A Couple of my Layouts...