Scrap Room Lift

I love, love, love see other people scrap rooms, and I've seen some amazing rooms. When I saw Laura Vagas' on Making Memories' Blog in June, I went absolutely goofy for her "embellishment shelf". Imagine, all of my jars could be neatly faced, on display and within easy reach. Oh it was too much, just the thought made me giddy!

So I felt it out on Craigslist, "How much would it cost for you to make me this..." Wow, the response was overwhelming (I got like 60-70 responses). I was expecting a couple of hobbyits to say, well we could get materials for so much, plus $50 bucks or so to put it together...." and what I got was a lot of professional cabinet makers estimating from 300-$650 before sending it out to be painted. While I am sure their craftsmanship and time were well worth what they were asking, it was out of my price range.
I fell into a deep depression; how could I go on with out an "embellishment shelf"? How could I hold my head up high at the next crop and fain a smile, knowing that some of my jars had yet to see the light of day, hidden behind the first and second row of jars on regular shelf? I shudder at the memory of those times.

In an attempt to drag myself out of the despair with a little compulsive shopping, I happened upon a 729 CD/324 DVD Storage Unit in the CD department at Target. I might have missed it if it weren't for the beam of light from heaven and the choir of angels singing. I felt the depression lifting, some of the old giggles were trying to break though. On the way home I hired two handymen to build my new "Embellishment Shelf" and to build my hope. (BTW, my handymen are very affordable, DS1 & DS2 will work for candy bars!)


So, here is my lovely "Embellishment Shelf". Although it is not quite the size of the other Laura's, it works for me.

Across the top my flowers in small Burken jars from IKEA.

Next row: Lg Tab Punch, Doodlebug flock in sm Burken jar, Mini pail w/ shelf pegs, pharmacy jar of mixed buttons, 7 Gypsies Stamps

Next Row: Clip it Up Clips and ribbon clips in mini pails, clear skittles, Bazzill chips, binder rings in mini pail, more skittles

Next row: Whispers inkpads, Giant Jar o' Stickles, Glitter, Flock and Embossing Powders in large Burken jar, ATC album, skittles, ATC Spinner

Next Row: Re-inkers, Journaling tags, Mark-it markers, colored pencils, Copic markers

Next row: Bazzill Just the Edges in a tall Burken jar, my Bind it All goes here too, but it's on my paper rack for some reason, room to grow, large ink pads.

Last couple of rows: foam stamps and more room to grow.

Right now, I working on cleaning my scrap room, so I'm sure I'll be filling in the blank spaces.

9 Comments:

  1. Elizabeth said...
    Love your new space!! That shelf is perfect!!!
    Erica Hettwer said...
    Nice!!! :D
    GLOANN said...
    Laura, you have a very nice blog. Love the header across the top. And those shelves are just wonderful. Wish I could really commit to some things like this. DH is ready, willing and beyond able to do it for me. Just can't decide how I need to organize it all. Wish you were close by to help me with it. GLOANN (from AMR)
    angie worthington said...
    your shelf is awesome!!!....love your new space!!!...
    Marilyn said...
    That shelf is awesome!! Can't wait till you are all done reorganizing, the reveal will be amazing!! Great job so far!
    Christina Carnoy said...
    you are so hilarious! your shelf is gorgeous!
    Kay said...
    I totally thought I had commented on this!! Dude weird. Oh wait I remember what happened! Long Story.
    Anyway!! Very cool shelves. Looking at it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Anne Marie said...
    Mea culpa, mea culpa ... I am shattered that I have not been to your blog before today. Your writing more than brings a smile to my face, it downright cracks me up! Great shelf btw!
    laura vegas said...
    somehow found a link to you on my blog stats today. how fun to see that my embellishment shelf inspired you to create something like it. and i think the shelf you found is perfect! and i'm sure cheaper. lol!

Post a Comment



A Couple of my Layouts...